Tuesday 13 September 2011

My studio and another layer on the painting


It's that time of year again. My teaching work dominates my life, with new students and not much time to do or think about my art. What a lovely class I have though! I'm sure I'll learn loads from them.


This is my space at CAN studio's in Nottingham. I'm collecting boxes and reclaimed items I've got from the local auction. I've promised I will try and work as much as possible on reclaimed wood rather than new. Better quality wood and actually lovely objects that no one wants! Suits my new work and ideas too. Play and play some more. Stripping the varnish and sanding is a bind but well worth it. I'm a little reluctant to paint on a walnut half moon table top though (but remember I got it for under £5) it's beautiful wood. My dad is an expert on wood and makes and restores musical instruments. Recently though he tneds to sort amps and  electric guitars for local folks. He is my guru and made all my boards until recently. Very talented chap, I have alot to learn.


I said I would blog about oiling an icon. My head is in a whizz, so I just had to get the photo's off my camera first and something on here. It will be coming soon and something I'm researching too.


These are my Icons in the studio. I did these before going on the icon course. I wish I could
oil these now. They are closed but on the inside they are acrylic so not compatible and I sealed the surface. I'm working on a new piece featuring palms.  I was really pleased with the feel of these hands.

This is a painting I'm still working on. One of a set of four from a coulpe of years ago. Some just work and others need looking at  again and agian. They are to be solved over time, like a tricky puzzle.
This is one of those! It's starting to work though and I'm doing it alongside another.
This one needs many more layers but is getting there. It's the same painting from the earlier blog but they need to be worked and worked before i think they are finished.


This is a close up and I'm experimenting with more 3D elements built onto the surface on the right.


This is the next layer, I've positioned a gessoed feather at the bottom too. Very beautiful. Still some way to go yet though. Lots of ideas and not enough time!


No comments:

Post a Comment