Thursday 1 September 2011

My first carved box




This was another present I made for my nephew. I wanted to give him something he could keep and use forever. Hence it not being childish. He can play with it now hiding his bouncy balls, use it as a teenager to keep his stash of condoms in and later cigars, just for show of course!

I stripped and sanded, sized and gessoed the wood. I built up several layers to allow me to carve the drawings in. I used my trusty animals of the world book for inspiration. I don't draw the image first onto the surface but I do draw them boldly onto paper to get a solid drawing and then get my composition right. Then I just free carved each animal using  a scalpel. My gesso was a good mix as sometimes if I don't get the ratio bang on it can chip alot. I then clean all the grooves out with a dry brush, I flood the surface with water based wood dye (jacobean oak) and then clean off excess with a damp cotton cloth. Any areas I want really polished and white have to be worked on alot and the rag rinsed regularly. I think it gives a beautiful antique and etched look.

No comments:

Post a Comment